👋🏽 This project is a feature length documentary film exploring diversity in tech in Silicon Valley.
Does the film have a name?
Not yet, but soon 😀
Why is it needed?
Under represented minority groups (including women, people color, latinos, etc) are currently being excluded from the technology industry at alarming rates. They have to cross through many hurdles to get tech jobs, get promoted, raise venture capital, etc. It has been proven that diverse teams are indeed better for businesses, yet, despite this, the needle isn’t moving in the right direction.
What are the subjects the film will cover?
The film will show the amazing work being done to make Silicon Valley more diverse, (Examples include: Project Include, YearUp, Code2040, etc) while discussing the reasons why it has been so hard to make progress.
It will explore issues including but not limited to:
- Getting a job in tech (Hiring process, unconscious bias, pattern matching, etc)
- Challenges minorities feel while employed (Glass ceilings, pay gaps, culture fit, not getting promoted, etc)
- Getting venture capital funding
- Why are companies diversity numbers not getting better year after year
The film will interview people who are in positions of influence in companies, experts who are doing the work needed to raise awareness and move the needle towards a more diverse tech industry, as well as under represented minorities working in tech.
- Accelerate moving the needle to a more diverse tech industry by raising awareness about under represented minorities in tech
- Talking about diversity and changing culture is very uncomfortable. This film can be a catalyst for this.
- Possibly package the film with Project Include recommendations, so people that watch the film can have an action plan
Wait why a film? Can’t you just write a blog post about this?
- Film can not just explain what all the issues are and how they are related, it can show what the issues are.
- Film can be watched my multiple people and discussed afterwards. Companies / schools can host screenings of the film and hold discussions after the film is completed.
- Film can show everyone working in this space as a collective voice.
- Easily sharable
- Easily consumable (Less work watching a video than reading a post)
What is the film's distribution plan?
- We will aim to distribute the film through the most popular distributors
- Possibly a web distribution / release the film for free to eliminate barrier to watching
- (Distribution plan TBD)
Who is creating this film? Who is funding this film?
I'm Ahmed Eid, a film maker based in the Bay Area. I currently work as an iOS developer at Slack. I am a minority myself that has been working in tech for the past 6 years and this subject is one that I am very passionate about. I’ve made another documentary film before that has been screened at over 50 college campuses across the world. So far this film is being produced by myself, but if you would like to collaborate please get in touch!
When it comes to funding, the plan is to self fund the film until I can generate a trailer / rough cut. With that in hand I plan to approach companies who are interested in diversity or organizations already doing amazing work in this space and offer sponsorship of the film in exchange for funding.
How can I help?
Let us, as a collective voice, bring more attention to this issue and make companies more accountable.
You can help by:
- If you have a story to share or want to be included in the film, please let us know.
- If you want to be notified about the film’s progress, please sign up here